I’ve been working with a new crew these past few days as I volunteer some of my time to the Our House project in the effort to get the building sealed up for the weather and prepare for the next phase of interior finish.
From my past experience, this is one of the worst time of the year to be working outside on the exterior of any worksite as we struggle to complete the siding. Unfortunately, this project is no different as we struggle with weather, cold, damp and last week’s snow dump of 74 centimetres covering all of our materials and creating a mud puddle as big as the lot the homes are located on.
Add to that the dripping of water from the eaves above us, wet hands and feet and slipping and sliding throughout the work site, and you’ve got conditions that are best imagined and not experienced!
Oh well….such is life working around our regular life and finding the time to put into the project.
What have we done? We have closed the ridge on the roof (finally), installed the Maximum roof vents, been connected to the Hydro network, sealed up the foundation connections between the house and the slab and finished the insulation of that connection:
and prepared the site for the installation of cement board for the foundation. We have completed the interior walls and drywall in the interior of both units:
…..completed most of the plumbing and radon connections and completed two of the four exterior wall connection between the upper and lower units.
The goal for the next week or so is to finish weatherproofing the exterior including the installation of the soffit and fascia on the gable ends and if materials and time permit, installing the cement board on the foundation…..We shall see!
I am still encouraging you to volunteer for this phase of the project working with Habitat for Humanity!!