It is the the second week back after the break, and work is still moving along fairly slowly. We have been getting all of our ducks in a row as we wait for materials to be provided by Habitat for Humanity.
In the meantime, we have met with the trucking company and the crane operator and have communicated with our engineer/designer, and, after making some modifications to our lifting points we are ready to go. The new wooden blocks are similar to the original prototypes, but are a little thicker as per the recommendations of all the experts. There ar two models, depending on the placement of the siding, which is really what we are hoping to protect. Here is what one model looks like, it is for the ground floor modules:
It will be installed under the siding using long lag screws:
and after installation:
The straps will be deflected by these blocks away from the siding…..we hope!!
The other model after installation looks like this:
We managed to pick up the units by a 22,000 lb.-rated strap, so we are getting more confident of a stress free move!
We also managed to use all four of our 10 ton jacks to lift unit 2. It went very well and we are certain we have the necessary strategies for the move day to get these units on the trucks….after that, it is up to the pros!
Meanwhile, we also took advantage of the warm temperatures to try and clear the drains on the slab where the home will be going. We were able to find them and now there is a clear path for the melted snow.
By the end of this mild week the slab will be clear of free of snow and ice….then we will have to keep it off until February 8th, the move day!
We should have materials necessary for the rest of the pre-move planning by early next week, so we’ll get ourselves in gear for the final prep!