Our House Diary # 25, Sept 27, 2016

Well another couple of busy days, and it is going to be a bit of a list of actions and solutions.

But first, I have to report that we had a visit from our designer and engineer for the Our House modular home yesterday evening to look at some questions and interpretation of the specifications and to meet with the electrician to plan for the wiring. At the end of the meeting, we did a tour of the site, and after a few minor critiques, he turned to me an with a big smile on his face told me that he was really impressed! He pointed out that we were working on an innovative project that we had never worked on before, that we were working in a space not designed for the type of project we were working on, that we were working with “staff” (i.e., students) that were not trained in modular construction and that we had had some unforeseen hurdles to overcome, but that the results were very impressive! So good to hear! Congrats to all of us for our willingness to try something new, to discover ways to do it and to make for good learning!!

One of the things we worked on today was to see if we could lift the first unit for a move to the great outdoors on Friday. We were discouraged because we had discovered that not one, but two of our heavy duty jacks were not working properly and had to be sent to the repair shop. But with a little thought and creative thinking we were successful.

In this pic, the whole unit is up in the air and the dollies are slid under the running beams:

img_3099

Then the block are removed and it is lowered onto the dollies:

img_3101

Then we move the whole unit with a little cooperation and levers:

img_3103

Pretty impressive…we are figuring the unit weighs around 23,000 lbs!

Meanwhile we were finishing the demising wall on unit 2:

img_3109

with 2 layers of fire-rated gyps. Note the OSB infill between the studs to act as solid blocking for the kitchen cabinets.

An we straightened the walls to construct the ceiling:

note all the bracing:

img_3108

and moved an end wall to the far end of unit three with our gantry:

…where it waits installation tomorrow when we raise the inside wall.

Lots happening…we may make our timeline of making these units waterproof and on site by the end of November!!

Time will tell!

jh

 

 

Advertisements

About jhcarpentry

I am a teacher in the Construction Carpentry Program at the Chateauguay Valley Career Education Centre (CVCEC) for the New Frontiers School board. This blog is a way for me to connect with my students.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Our House Diary # 25, Sept 27, 2016

  1. I am so impressed and proud! Keep up the great work!

    • jhcarpentry says:

      Thanks!! A great learning experience, too. I am now developing rubrics to turn student participation into evaluation tools for “Insulation” and “Floors”….it’s hard work to think outside the box!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s