Well, this week is exams for the module. We have a few days practice and then each of you will take your turns to try your hand at this project.
Here are a few sketch-up images to help.
Assuming you have calculated the correct length of the beam (Concrete to concrete measurement I give you less 40mm for the plywood of the forms, set out your template correctly, and constructed all the parts in the reverse order you will be assembling them, follow these steps:
2) Install the column back centred on your line from step 1. Tack it in place and support it with a brace
3) Place one side at the correct location and attach it to the back…remember the studs of the side panel should overhang the plywood of the back so that the clamps can do what they are supposed to do
4) Install the other side and the front respecting the nailing techniques we discussed in class. Any questions? Ask and we’ll discuss them on the blog or in class.
5) View from the top without the front….
6) Close up of the finished yoke: notice the 19mm setbacks for the 2 x 4’s……
7) Install the beam bottom – do not forget to place the nails in the bottom to hold the jacks.
8) Install the jacks with sleepers plumb and well adjusted for level:
9)Install first side – keep the fit nice and tight!
10) install the second side:
11) Place the column clamps 6 ” and 30″ from the template
12) Don’t forget to plumb the column and install the brace:
And that’s all there is to it!! I am sure there are lots of questions to be answered. If you share them in class, we’ll answer them for everyone!!
See you tomorrow!